When the University of Kolozsvár moved to Szeged in 1922, the city donated a land of 20 kh to it to establish a botanical garden. The first plants were introduced by the founding director, István Győrffy. The botanic garden is still owned by the university, as a collection serving education and research, open to the public, as well. The garden presents agricultural species in a systematic way, including herbs, dye, fibre and food plants, but it also takes part in the preservation of protected plants. One of the curiosities of the collection is the Indian lotus, which arrived more than 80 years ago. In the lake fed by artesian water it found the living conditions appropriate for proliferation and now it represents the largest open-air stand in Central Europe.
Adult: 900,- Student, pensioner: 600,- Kindergarten ticket: 400,- Under the age of 3 is for free
SZTE students and workers: 400,-
Flying Flowers – Tropical Butterfly House in the Botanic Garden
The new exhibit of the Botanic Garden provides a glimpse into the tropical world of South America.
1 May – 30 September 2016
Every day: 9:00 -17:45
It can be visited with an extra ticket:
student, pensioner, SZTE worker/student: 350Ft/person
6726 Szeged, Lövölde utca 42.