Situated in Újszeged in the line of Belvárosi Bridge, the largest park of Szeged has an area of 15 hectares. The wilderness of trees and weed thriving at the place of the present park was transformed by Baron Vilmos Reitzenstein,
an imperial officer, colonel of the Italian battalion and his soldiers in 1858. They created a spectacular baroque garden, the axis of which is now lined by giant plane trees, the lawns are shaded by old lindens, oaks and maples. It accommodates the smaller stage of the Open Air Festival and some university sports fields. On the side close to the bridge stands the Saint Elisabeth church. Nearby there is an area for relaxation with a fountain. Thanks to the
renovation of the Elizabeth Park, which was completed last year, new leisure facilities are available for the residents and visitors of Szeged alike. Outdoor gyms, sports fields as well as a state-of-the-art running track await sports enthusiasts. The Park is also well-known as a venue for May Day celebrations and gastronomic festivals.