A nicely created park and a speciality in the history of industry, the country’s first water tower made of reinforced concrete awaits visitors in Szent István Square. The tower, which can hold 1004,8 m3 of water, was designed by Szilárd Zielinski. It was built in 1904 and has been performing its original function ever since. The whole tower was made of concrete, including the front door and 54.9 m high pole holding the flag. Inside the tower renovated in 2006 there is a Foucault pendulum demonstrating the rotation of the Earth, an exhbition of colourful soda water bottles, as well as an exhibition on the history of physics. Climbing up its many stairs, tourists can get a magnificent panorama from the top of the tower. Around the tower we can find the busts of seven renowned architects who made their mark transforming the cityscape.
April-October, on the first Saturday every month: 10 am – 4 pm.
Groups (min. 10 people) can visit the tower throughout the year by
registration in advance, after appointment arrangement.
Registration on working days: 8 am – 3 pm.