Architectural Heritage 28 results
  • Votive Church

    After the Great Flood (1879) destroying the city, the people of Szeged made an oath to build a majestic catholic church.
  • St. Demetrius Tower

    Outside the Votive church stands the Saint Demetrius Tower, the oldest architectural relic of the city.
  • Reformed Church Palace

    he palace attracts our attention mainly owing to its position in the cityscape and of course, to its spectacular facade as well as to its unusual siting.
  • Raichl House

    The architect’s palace in Szeged is larger and more imposingly executed, yet it is more modest in comparison with its counterpart in Subotica, failing to reach its outstanding unity of style and the elaboration of its details.
  • Ungár-Mayer Palace

    This corner building dominantly shaping the cityscape is a masterpiece of the late Art Nouveau in Szeged. Its capriciously animated facades can be attributed to the architect’s imagination forced to distance himself from Art Nouveau and to the designer’s sober intuition under the pressure to return to Eclecticism.
  • City Hall

    The present City Hall is the third building in the same place with the same function. The first building of a modest design was raised in 1728. It was followed by the second one with the same area as the present hall, designed by István Vedres at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries.
  • Somogyi Library

    Károly Somogyi, prebendary of Esztergom, aimed to make a contribution to the 'mental' reconstruction of the city in ruins after the flood by giving Szeged his priceless collection of books in 1881.
  • Szeged National Theatre

    The theatre opened in 1883 is one of the most beautiful eclectic neo-baroque buildings of the town rebuilt from its ruins
  • Serbian Orthodox Church

    The Serbian Orthodox Church stands on the northern side of the square, close to the bank of the River Tisza.
  • Attila József Education and Information Centre

    The education and congress centre of the University of Szeged.
  • Móricz House

    The secessionist style, four-storey historic building stands on the southern side of Saint Steven Square.