The Serbian Orthodox Church stands on the northern side of the square, close to the bank of the River Tisza. The Serbians arrived in Szeged in the Middle Ages, moving northward because of the invasion of the Ottoman Empire. In the 18th and 19th century they played an important role in the commercial life of the city and the region. Their recognition is shown by the fact that originally they had the right to build a church in the area within the castle walls. We have records of the existence of two former buildings, so the church consecrated in honour of Saint Nicholas is the third in Szeged. The single-nave, nicely made baroque style church was consecrated in 1778. The layout of its interior is in accordance with the orthodox requirements centring the rococo iconostas embellished richly with gold. János Popovics made the icon screen, one of the most beautiful one in Hungary.
Prior arrangement is necessary.
6720 Szeged, Somogyi utca 3.